Twelve Alternatives to Lashing out at Your Child
from Prevent Child Abuse America
- The next time everyday pressures build up to the point where you feel like lashing out — STOP!
- Try any of these simple alternatives. You’ll feel better… and so will your child.
- Take a deep breath… and another. Then remember you are the adult.
- Close your eyes and imagine you’re hearing what your child is about to hear.
- Press your lips together and count to 10… or better yet, to 20.
- Put your child in a time-out chair (remember this rule: one time-out minute for each year of age).
- Put yourself in a time-out chair. Think about why you are angry: is it your child, or is your child simply a convenient target for your anger?
- Phone a friend.
- If someone can watch the children, go outside and take a walk.
- Take a hot bath or splash cold water on your face
- Hug a pillow.
- Turn on some music. Maybe even sing along.
- Pick up a pencil and write down as many helpful words as you can think of. Save the list.
- Call for prevention information: Wisconsin residents call Prevent Child Abuse Wisconsin: (920) 996-2210.
Strengthening Families Through Early Care and Education